Abstracts – Browse Results

Search or browse again.

Click on the titles below to expand the information about each abstract.
Viewing 1 results ...

Chinyio, E (1999) An evaluation of construction clients' needs and preferences, Unpublished PhD Thesis, School of Engineering and the Built Environment, University of Wolverhampton.

  • Type: Thesis
  • Keywords: client; questionnaire survey; requirements; values
  • URL: http://hdl.handle.net/2436/96224
  • Abstract:

    The research investigated factors influencing construction clients’ needs with the aim of identifying predictors which could be used for assessing or verifying requirements on future projects. The literature review confirmed that a significant number of clients were not fully satisfied with their project outcomes. It was therefore hypothesised that clients’ dissatisfaction could be traced to their needs not being understood and well defined during briefing. In a structured survey, 593 clients were asked to define and prioritise their project needs; the analysis in this thesis is based on 133 respondents (22%) to this main survey. Clients’ transitivity in making preference-choices was first analysed using the psychometric technique of ’paired-comparisons’. 50 clients (41%) were perfectly transitive while the remaining 73 (59%) were intransitive to one degree or the other. To enhance the subsequent scaling of clients’ values and development of hypotheses towards new lines of inquiry, the preferences expressed were used to classify the clients into needs-based homogenous groups using ’cluster analysis’. Four distinct groups of clients were identified, and two of these were chosen for further analysis. The pairedcomparisons methodology was again used to measure these clients’ values, and, the evaluated desires were statistically contrasted. Although the two groups had similar requirements, their prioritisation of needs differed significantly. Out of the six factors identified as influencing clients’ desires, four were found to predominate in the two groups studied, namely: Social; Personal; Legal; and ProjectInduced considerations. Linking clients’ needs with these predominant factors will provide an empirical basis for evaluating their requirements during briefing. Project delivery and client satisfaction will be optimised if the impact of these factors on client’s needs is identified at project inception.